Monday, November 1, 2010

Dcad Photo 2

Micheal Flomen: Being-  All these photos are large gelatin prints from an artist who I found when looking through a gallery website.  I found a lot of the work interesting but these 3 photographs were especially striking.  What grabs my attention immediately is the chiarrascurro effect- the lights emerging from the dark.  Then abstract qualities definitely keep my maintain my attention becuase that is the type of art I am most interested in.  What is being depicted here is of no importance to me becuase of the quality and the beautiful shapes of light vs. the dark background.  Clearly Flomen doesn't settle with average print quality and I admire that a lot as well as his eye for abstraction.
Eclipse: Another Flomen gelatin print with very beautiful abstract organic shapes.  Although the lighting is not as ambiguous as the previous image it is still effective.  What works best in this photo is the tonal range and the composition.  Flomen works these two things together to bring out the abstract quality which is almost paradoxical becuase he is showing us the image very clearly but it unidentifyable. 
Contact:  More similar to the first one the lighting is very ambiguous and the chiarroschurro effect is very high.  Here it seems like Flomen gives us a little more of a landscape which seems to go with the title.  There is a very organic flow to the photo where your eye basically follows the lights in a curvy zigzag.  But the jaggedness contrasts the organicness and creates variety through the photo.  Overall I think these are 3 very succesful and mindblowing photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment