Wednesday, January 12, 2011

StephenShore1Color1

This interior seems to be the least interesting.  But it is still beautiful compared to interiors in general.  The near perfect if not perfect exposure, quality, and composition floors me right off the bat.  Then I begin to appreciate the relationship between the different greens and how the patterns of green effect the photograph.  And as an afterthought, similar to Eggleston, I can appreciate the retro quality that this photo emits. I would be decent in black and white, however the green seems to be the longest lasting of all the good qualities.

I find this one more interesting because of the relationship of the powerful reds versus the muted muddy greens.  It is the first and foremost thing that grabs and keeps my attention, the way Shore makes a dull muted color work with and compliment a vibrant flashy color.  The composition is just right because I have the feeling if we saw any more red at the bottom it might be too overpowering.  All together this picture flows and and the force behind it is complimentary colors and again a retro feel.  Another driving force in this photo is simplicity- a fire alarm, standing ashtray, shrubery, ugly brick wall, and a red carpet.

This photo seemed most interesting- not to me- but in general.  Space plays a bigger part in this one because we get a ceiling now as opposed to the other two.  Again quality of exposure and near perfect composition stick out to me.  And although there are no compliments this one has a muted feel to it.  This punctuates the retro feel and also brings out an oddball humorous aspect of this photo.  The subject in this interior is very important to the humor and retro ness of the photo.  I feel like the TV is more interesting now than it was when this was shot though, so being that the photo changes meanings over time makes it even more beautiful.


No words for the next three stephen shore photos... enjoy












No comments:

Post a Comment