Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stephen Shore
Although I don't want to deem any of his photographs unsuccessful- it is inevitable that he does fail to make a photograph that conveys his message or meets his goals.  This image does not put me in heightened sense of reality, and it does not make me feel like I am seeing things that I would normally miss if I walked past this image on a daly basis.  I one aspect of this photograph that hurts it most would be the composition, besides the color relations nothing else works in the composition.  It seems awkward and boring- nothing in this image draws me in.

Stephen Shore
I chose this image because it grabs my attention and interest regardless of where I place my eye.  Color and formal relationships make up this composition so anywhere you look you are drawn to other areas and eventually you view every aspect of the image.  The heightened sense of reality is heavy in this photograph, I feel like if i passed this scene everyday I would not notice half the shit that I notice in this photograph.  Also it reminded me of what Shore said about parking his car in the composition if he sees it neccessary, the cars seem too perfect.

Stephen Shore
This image is successful in a very similar way to the above.  But I think the heightened sense of reality is a lot clearer because this is a main strip in a town- a scene that you pass a million times and never notice like Shore did.  Again color and form lead my eye through the whole image and viewing becomes exploration.  Two things in this photograph also rung bells of things I read in the article and heard in the video.  These trees in relation to the architecture seem to have emotional quality, the way they flow out of the building in a blooming way.  The other thing is the way that he establishes space with the distances of the cars, this is another things he spoke about in the video when refferencing the telephone poles.


No comments:

Post a Comment